I know that the eating aspect of this journey can sometimes be overwhelming. Trying to meal prep and come up with ideas for healthy food is hard. In order to survive, you have to have ideas and food ready to go during the week so that it’s not overwhelming, but simple. I think for most of us, once we get home from work, and the kids are starving, and we are starving, it’s so much easier just to pack the kids in the car and say, “That’s it, we are going to McDonalds.” But DON’T do it… just don’t. You need to find easy go to recipes that you can have ready in a short amount of time for those crazy nights. You need to take the weekend and cook up a bunch of healthy food that is in the fridge, so that at any point when you are starving you have healthy options for lunch or for dinner.
While we still have those “I just want to eat out nights”, they are much less on weeks that we have taken the time to meal prep on sunday.
Our Go To Meals
While I love finding fun new recipes, I don’t have a lot of time to cook during the week. I have to find things that my family like, that won’t take me forever to cook, and that I don’t have to think to hard to make.
Most Sundays become our meal prep days and we do a lot of grilling. We grill a ton of food and then put it in the fridge for lunches and those nights that we just don’t have time to cook.
Here are some of our favorite meals during the week:
- Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Fish
- Lean Hamburger (try to get grassfed when possible) – we will eat this with sprouted hamburger buns or no buns – or Ezekiel bread.
- Edamame Pasta (from costco) – with a clean spaghetti sauce and either lean hambuger, turkey burger, or chicken
- Homemade Pizza – Organic Frozen Pizza crust from Trader Joes, clean pasta sauce, tons and tons of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, and anything else I have on hand) I normally do very very minimal cheese or no cheese at all. It’s so yummy.
- Turkey burgers
- Kodiak Cakes (protein pancakes – I get them at costco – they are more expensive on amazon) – these are perfect for breakfasts or as a fun breakfast for dinner for the kids.
- Sauteed Zucchini with Pasta sauce and ground turkey.
- Spagetti Squash with Pasta sauce and ground turkey.
We always make sure that we have veggies with our meals and we actually limit the grains.
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Grilled Zuchhini
- Grilled Squash
- Shishito Peppers (trader joes)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Butternut Squash
If we do grains, we stick with whole grains:
- Forbidden rice
- Whole Grain Brown Rice
Those are standard dinners for us. We normally cook a little extra and then have it for lunch the next day. I find that if I have food in the fridge, I don’t eat bad foods when I’m starving.
Pinterest Clean Eating Recipes
There are times I need some new ideas and i’ve found that Pinterest has so many different amazing recipes. Just head over to Pinterest and type in “Clean Eating Recipes” and you’ll be amazed at what pops up. If you are still new to clean eating you can also find a lot of great guides for clean eating. One word of caution, just because it says clean eating doesn’t always mean it is though, so please check out ingredients and make sure that everything lines up with true clean eating.
As we grow this website, we will continue to post recipes that we either find or come up with. Check out all the links below for more fun ideas, and feel free to let us know what your favorite recipes are as well!!!
For more information about nutrition, check out the links below!